|NUR 4636: Community & Public Health, Population-based |
Assignment: What Works for Health?
NUR 4636: Community & Public Health, Population-based Assignment: What Works for Health?
For the community health issues that matter most I selected Mental Health because of the covid pandemic and increase suicide rates and school shootings. The health topic concern you will write about is mental health. Briefly present data on specific health indicators that relate to your health topic for a selected population is the State of Florida.
a. Research promising practices and evidence-based interventions that specifically address the primary health issue or concern. Interventions can be strategies, programs, or policies.
b. Describe three specific evidence-based interventions, and include the following for each intervention strategy
i. Describe the intervention in general terms.
ii. Categorize the Level(s) of Prevention (Primary, Secondary, Tertiary); justify your selection.
iii. Appraise the evidence of effectiveness in addressing the health issue or concern.
1. Recommended Actions
a. Evaluate the applicability of the three various programs, policies, or strategies within a diverse population.
In this assignment, you will describe three evidence-based interventions to address a health topic or concern.
Student Learning Outcomes (from Syllabus)
- Differentiate primary, secondary, and tertiary prevention strategies for diverse communities.
Readings and Resources
- Anderson and McFarlane (2019) Chapters 1, 6 and 8; Chapter 14 (page 263)
- County Health Rankings and Roadmaps (2019) What Works for Health? https://www.countyhealthrankings.org/take-action-to-improve-health/what-works-for-health
- CDC Community Health Improvement Navigator: Database of Interventions https://wwwn.cdc.gov/chidatabase
- Literature Search—SCF Library Databases (CINAHL, CDC)
- This is an INDIVIDUAL assignment.
- You will write a brief (2-3 pages) paper to present one health issue or concern and describe three evidence-based intervention strategies to address that health topic or concern.
Outline: What Works for Health
- Description of Health Issue
- Select ONE community/public health issue or concern that matters most to you. This may be the priority health issue you shared in Week 1: Introduction and Health Priorities discussion, and/or may be a population you are interested in learning even more about in your NUR 4636L Community/Public Health Practicum course.
- Briefly present data on specific health indicators that relate to your health topic for a selected population (county, state, nation).
- Evidence-based Interventions
- Research promising practices and evidence-based interventions that specifically address the primary health issue or concern. Interventions can be strategies, programs, or policies.
- Describe three specific evidence-based interventions, and include the following for each intervention strategy:
- Describe the intervention in general terms.
- Categorize the Level(s) of Prevention (Primary, Secondary, Tertiary); justify your selection.
- Appraise the evidence of effectiveness in addressing the health issue or concern.
- Recommended Actions
- Evaluate the applicability of the three various programs, policies, or strategies within a diverse population.
|Description of Health Issue or Concern|| Excellent (20)|
Health factor measure and data presented for selected population; statistical measures accurately applied.
Health factor identified; data minimal and/or errors noted in statistical measures
|Needs Improvement (10)|
Health factor identified; no presentation of data or selected population
|Evidence-based Interventions||Excellent (50)|
Summary of three evidence-based interventions, correctly classified level of prevention, and includes summary of evidence.
Summary of three evidence-based interventions, with limited or missing evaluation—or summary of two of the three expected with all elements included.
|Needs Improvement (25)|
Minimal description of interventions and evaluation.
|Recommended Actions||Excellent (20)|
Clearly written evaluation of how each of three selected interventions apply to the population selected.
|Needs Improvement (10)|
Evaluation minimally addressed or incomplete (missing for some
|Scholarly Writing and APA format||Excellent (10)|
Clearly written; APA format applied in the structure of paper (title page, body, reference section); sources accurately cited and listed in References. No abstract necessary for this assignment.
|Needs Improvement (5)|
Format and writing of paper do not consistently reflect APA guidelines; sources not consistently cited or formatted.
Anderson, E. T., & McFarlane, J. (2019). Community as partner: Theory and practice in nursing (8th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer.
County Health Rankings. (2019). What works for health [interactive web content]. Retrieved September 16, 2019 from https://www.countyhealthrankings.org/take-action-to-improve-health/what-works-for-health