As a psychology professional, you have been asked to create a presentation to educate the public about a concern that impacts human development. Explain the human development concern, and how Brofenbrenner’s ecological system theory helps to understand the problem.
Choose a problem in human lifespan development to use in this assessment. You may choose a topic from the areas below, or select an idea of your own.
Some examples of problems are:
- The effects of divorce on child development.
- Child abuse and neglect.
- Quality of (family or institutional) child care.
- Quality of elder (family or institutional) care.
- Obesity rates in the United States.
- Sex education programs in the schools.
If you are unsure if your topic is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor.
Once you have selected your problem, apply Bronfenbrenner’s ecological systems theory. Within your assignment, you should include the following elements:
- Provide a brief overview of the problem you have selected.
- Include the following, for each level of the environment as explained by Bronfenbrenner:
- A brief explanation of the system and how it influences development.
- A description of how the system affects the problem.
- Additional factors that can affect the problem.
- Explain how bi-directional relationships between the systems can affect the problem.
- Discuss any weaknesses or flaws in the application of Bronfenbrenner’s ecological systems theory to your chosen topic.
Example Assessment: You may use the assessment example, linked in the Assessment Example section of the Resources, to give you an idea of what a Proficient or higher rating on the scoring guide would look like.
- Communication: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, respectful, and consistent with expectations for professional practice in education. Original work and critical thinking are required regarding your assessment and scholarly writing. Your writing must be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- Media presentation: A minimum of 6–8 slides, with at least 2–4 paragraphs (per slide) in the notes to expand on your bullet points. Upload the presentation.
- Resources: At least three scholarly resources other than the course text or assigned journal articles. Include citations at the end of the presentation.
- APA guidelines: Resources and citations are formatted according to current APA style and format. When appropriate, use APA-formatted headings.
- Font and font size: Appropriate size and weight for presentation, generally 24–28 points for headings and no smaller than 18 points for bullet-point text. For PowerPoint tips, refer to the PowerPoint tutorial page from Microsoft, linked in the Resources area.